Xylitol is a sugar-free substance used as a sugar substitute and can be found in many diabetic foods and other diet foods, such as sugar-free snacks, baked goods, candies and sugar-free mints. While it’s completely safe for humans, it results in a severe insulin release when ingested by dogs. Acute poisoning will occur in dogs, resulting in two main syndromes: hypoglycemia (a life-threateningly low blood sugar) and acute hepatic necrosis (severe liver failure). Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include the following:
Weakness or lethargy
Trembling or tremoring
A racing heart rate
If you suspect that your dog may have ingested something which contains Xylitol, or if he displays any of the above symptoms, please seek immediate help from your veterinarian. For more information on this issue, please read the full article on www.pethealthnetwork.com.
News supplied by uMngeni SPCA.