After the President’s address last night, the Fern Hill Hotel family sat down and discussed various ways forward for our hotel. Being a small, family-run business, we cannot afford to close and will be operating to the best of our ability. We agree there needs to be extra precautions taken and increased hygiene measures instituted to prevent the spread of the Corona Virus.
Being a Training College as well as hotel, we have always taught and exercised extreme hygiene practices, but with the current spread of COVID-19, we are putting extra measures in to protect further our staff, students and guests. Below are the various strategies we have put into play effective immediately:
• We ask all guests to use the hand sanitizers at the entrance to Fern Hill, on the counters and at tables.
• In addition to our bathrooms, a handwashing station is now available on our deck for all our guests to use freely.
• We have removed tables in our dining room and on the deck to prevent overcrowding and provide more space between guests and waiters.
• Hand sanitizers will be available on each table for guests’ use from Tuesday 17th.
• One member of staff is designated to sterilizing cutlery (beyond the regular measures) and wrapping in disposable napkins using gloves and mask.
• Our normal cutlery layout has stopped.
• Staff are being made to wash their hands every 15 to 20 minutes and make use of hand sterilizer throughout the day.
• Gloves will be worn during service. Should you wish your waiter to wear a mask this can be requested.
• Menus, pens, pay points, bill folders and salt and pepper sets will be wiped down and sanitized after each use.
• Bar staff will be using gloves and sanitizer.
• Pool cues, balls and gaming equipment will be sterilized after each use in the bar.
• Extra cleaning of surfaces will be done consistently throughout the day.
• Guests can request disposable cups for teas/coffees.
• Biodegradable straws will be available for cold drinks.
• Chefs already wear gloves but will wear masks when plating the food.
• No staff allowed to come to work if displaying flu-like symptoms. To date, we haven’t had any. We are encouraging lots of vitamin C amongst our team.
• Our staff live on the property and don’t travel to and from work in crowded taxis or buses.
• We ask that any guests displaying flu-like symptoms not come to our hotel and if they do will be denied entry.
• We are altering our special events to be under 50 people and with plated menu options.
• Buffets are being discouraged.
• We also encourage guests to download Zapper and use it to pay their bills. This obviates the handling of cash or using credit card machines.
• We will be offering free delivery on frozen ready-made meals to Howick, Merrivale and Hilton areas for the next month. This will be done by the directors. Menu to follow.
• Students in the training college have been asked to stay home for the next 2 to 3 weeks and work on theory. This will be relooked at after 2 weeks.
• All accommodation will be less 30% allowing relief for guests needing it.
• Our professionally trained housekeeping team will increase their cleaning regime in all public areas in the hotel.
Should you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us on 033 330 5071.
News from Fern Hill Hotel.