• Advise your security company if you are going away and ensure that you supply all the necessary information regarding key holders and emergency contacts. Also ensure that your alarm system is in good working order.
• Inform your neighbours of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property.
• Stop all newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. A bulging post box is a real giveaway that you are not at home.
• If you are hiring a house sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm correctly. Also advise your security company about who they are and what their contact number is.
• Double check that you have locked and secured all windows and doors before leaving home. Thunderstorms and wind can trigger false alarms.
• Ensure that all your out-buildings (garage, cottage, garden shed) are secured. Also ensure that external PIR beams are in working order and cut away excess foliage near these external beams so that false alarms are not triggered.
• Never leave a key in the inside of an outer door which has glass panels or glass near the door lock.
• Having security gates fitted on outer doors is a highly effective security measure that gives you an extra line of defence.
• Sliding doors can be secured simply by placing a piece of timber cut to size in the sliding rail. Make sure that sliding doors cannot be lifted vertically. Preferably have a sliding gate across the front all sliding doors.
• Full fencing and sturdy driveway gates are a good deterrent. Make sure that your gate motor and battery are also secured.
• Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer or movement sensitive. Criminals do not like lighting.
• Do not leave ladders, spades or tools lying about outside as they can be used to break into your house. Do not leave other valuables in view from the road as opportunistic criminals will steal these.
• Clear signage indicating that you have a security company also helps to discourage criminals.
If you need assistance please contact the KSS offices on 033 3305911 at any time of day or knight.