The Midlands Hiking Club is a very friendly club for lovers of nature and the great outdoors, and has over 140 members from all over the Kwazulu-Natal Midlands. The club caters for all levels of hiking fitness, and hikes range from day hikes to weekend backpacking to strenuous multi-day backpacking expeditions.
Day hikes are generally in the Midlands area and are enjoyed by both new and experienced hikers.
Weekend backpacking trips usually take place in the Drakensberg Mountains but sometimes on closer trails like the Blinkwater Trail near Greytown. Hikers spend the nights in caves in the heart of the mountains, in tents, or in huts along the trail.
Weekend outings also include camping, mainly in the Drakensberg or at the coast, with hikes each day from the campsite followed by social braais in the evening. Hikes from well-equipped Berg Cottages are also included.
The objectives of the club are to:
- Promote hiking and backpacking activities
- Foster good relationships between hikers; and work with other similar clubs and associations
- Train members in skills and competence for leading groups of hikers
- Encourage the development of awareness of nature; and promote nature conservation
- Encourage the improvement of facilities and trails.
Photo credit to Midlands Hiking Club.